Sunday, January 15, 2006

Web-O-Fun. 01/15/06


This weeks goofy on-line toy is Protopage. This equates to a personal on-line bookmark site. It uses Ajax (Asynchronous JavaScript And XML) to give you a very personalizable (i know that isn't a word, but it should be) space. It lets you change the background and color scheme for the boxes. You can add sticky notes as well, so you could set up reminders for yourself or notes for someone you share this with. I wasn't sure how useful this would be for me, mostly i was trying to see a site that used Ajax, and ended up liking it. I worked on it at night on my desk top setting up links to websites i use and for information sites i read. The next day at work i used it to go to a new site i found but couldn't remember the url for. I also just got a laptop and i haven't even bothered setting up much in the way of bookmarks on it. So all and all its been useful and fun. Nice extra and seeing how its free and if you want to see the fun of Ajax just sign up for a Protopage account and play.

Hope you enjoy, g

4 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Petrol said...

It does look cool. I may get sucked in yet.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger g said...

It has been easy and fun for me so you may well be sucked in. If your just looking for a basic online bookmark service there are a few that look nice. The one that comes to mind is bookmarktracker.com. You also have the ever hard to spell del.icio.us and yes i had to look at my bookmarks to get it right. i haven't played with delicious but every one who has likes it. i just don't need the social comparisons to find new site very often. As a matter of fact i find that very distracting. i spent a ton, and i mean a ton of time looking for new Podcast thru Loomia only to realize i don't have time for any new ones seeing how i'm at 19+ hours a week as it is. They are nice if your really looking for something new. i use Loomia about once a month now at best just to see whats new.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Petrol said...

I just don't find mysaelf getting into the social bookmarking thing. I can see digging a story, but de.icio.us did nothing for me and I deleted the bookmark.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger g said...

That’s kinda what i was saying. Some people really like the social side of bookmark comparison. i can see some benefits too it but, its just not my thing mostly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home